Sunday 28 October 2018

The Legend of Egypt’s Sacred Family


Hi everyone and welcome back to my blog.

I recently visited Egypt, so I have written the story of the Sacred Family. The Sacred Family consisted of three deities – Osiris, Isis and Horus, father, mother and son respectively. They were worshipped by the ancient Egyptians in numerous temples and monuments. Here, I have written their story from Isis’ point of view.

Image source: https://www.mygodpictures.com/osirisisis-and-horus/

How did Isis feel when her husband was murdered, when Horus trained for the most vital battle of his life and when the time finally came for him to fight?

Read on to find out.

Isis’ Records

A terrible loss has befallen me today. Because of this, the whole kingdom shall suffer. My brother-in-law, Set assassinated my husband! How dare that traitor just barge into our beautiful palace, kill my husband Osiris, and sit on the royal throne?

I immediately rushed to draw my sword, but a woman is not permitted to fight a battle, especially against a man, in the kingdom of Egypt.

Osiris has been blasted into millions of pieces by that renegade Set and I have been banished from my position as Queen of Egypt. I must seek guidance from Amun-Ra, God of the Sun, on how to resurrect Osiris.

I can only hope that he’ll help me save my husband, and consequently, all of Egypt. 

____________________________________

I finally met Amun-Ra and he gave me much hope. The possibility of saving Osiris, of bringing him back to life, seems very high.

As I have recorded previously, Osiris has been broken into millions of pieces and Amun-Ra has given me wings to search for them and put Osiris’ body back together.  I shall start today, and hopefully my work will be completed by the next feast of Opet.

Image source: https://isiopolis.com/2013/12/01/why-does-isis-have-wings/
____________________________________

Today is a day of joy and faith for the subjects of Egypt. After almost a year of searching, I, Queen Isis have found all the pieces of Osiris. Tomorrow, as all of Egypt watches, he shall be brought back to life. Nephthys, my beloved sister, who aided me while I was searching, shall accompany me to this delightful ceremony. I’m pleased that Osiris will finally be saved.

However, his resurrection will not be complete until his death is avenged. We must have a son who will take revenge on Set and restore harmony in Egypt. I have decided what I shall name him.
Horus, the falcon-headed god of protection shall be born this year to save us.

____________________________________

It has been a long time since I last wrote. Osiris’ and my son shall be born in a month’s time. Only 30 days left! Once Horus is ready, I will see to it that he is trained well enough to take on Set and defeat him. But for now, I must wait.

____________________________________

Horus is only a young and vulnerable boy now, not ready for training. However, I see a spark in him. He is brave and diligent and seeks a chance to avenge his father. In some time, he shall become one of the greatest heroes in history.

Image source: http://www.egyptianmyths.net/mythisis.htm

____________________________________

Horus’ training has begun. Maat, goddess of order, is teaching him the rules of warfare, while our best warriors train him in archery. I am personally training him in the art of the spear fighting and it won’t be long before he is ready. That despicable Set better watch out!
____________________________________

Horus has married Hathor, goddess of love, joy and music. She is sure to bring Horus luck when he confronts Set. She has already given us some vital news: Set knows that Horus is seeking revenge, and that coward has taken the form of a hippopotamus and is in hiding underwater to escape Horus’ wrath.

Image source: http://canacopegdl.com/keyword/horus-hathor.html

The time has come for Horus to fight what will be the greatest battle ever witnessed – a battle against Set to fully resurrect and avenge his father.

____________________________________

We are sailing down the Nile, searching for any sign of Set. So far, this has proved unsuccessful but we must persevere. Hathor and I are here with Horus, to help him. Hathor is polishing his spear and sharpening its blade while she watches the water below for any sign of movement.

Wait! Horus has spotted something!

In the distance, there’s a grey dot just below the surface. We are rowing as quickly as possible towards it but…. Amun-Ra please help us!

We are here, and yes, that is Set! Horus has grabbed his spear and is lunging at that monster… that was a deft blow and it hit Set’s leg.

Image source: https://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/leg/leg07.htm


Oh! I should have known that Set would not be defeated so easily. He’s beginning to fight back…. Horus is holding his own….aah! No! Horus has been hit in the eye – this can’t be happening! Horus is failing, letting Set gain the upper hand.

I have to help him but Hathor isn’t letting me go. I must do something!

Wait…it’s alright! Horus is fighting back, valiantly swinging his spear as Set trembles at his might. He has utilised a trick I taught him years ago and now he has managed to disarm Set. Set is trying to flee, but he’s cornered. Horus has struck Set’s leg, and Set is screaming in pain.

One more strike and he’ll be unable to move. Yes! Horus has done it!

Horus has a cut in his arm and an eye has been taken out by Set. But these are mere trifles. My son, Horus, god of protection, the falcon-headed one, has destroyed Set, completed Osiris’ resurrection and rescued Egypt from a tyrant’s rule!

Horus will return victorious from this struggle and the people of Egypt shall bask in his reflected glory.

All shall kneel before Horus, King of Egypt!




18 comments:

  1. Wow! Netra, that was something. I too had been to Egypt but didn't bother to learn about these things. Very interesting, to say the least. Made even better with you donning the role of Isis....superb.
    - venkat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m going to write more about my trip shortly so please stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Excellent Metra.
    Brilliant writing.Very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has brought Egypt to my doorstep, Netra! I can visualise it clearly. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but this is just a tiny part of the Ancient Egyptian civilisation. Read more upcoming blogs to find out a little more!

      Delete
  4. Hi netra.i wish I could go on reading your presentation.its so good.give us more of these blogs.
    -Vijayachi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to relive the Egypt experience through these blogs. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story netra! I haven't been to Egypt and reading your story makes me want to read more ancient Egyptian tales.
    -Swami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’ll be writing more about this civilisation soon and I hope I can do it justice!

      Delete
  7. Hi Netra, I enjoyed reading your blog and the tales came alive. Good job. I like how you have used short sentences and kept the narrative clear. - All the best - Rajesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will continue to write about Egypt and I hope you enjoy the upcoming blogs!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful writing Netra. Proud of you.


    Uncle Zongda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will be writing more about Egypt shortly 😊

      Delete
  9. Gripping account, very entertaining, Netra!
    -Mini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’ll be writing more about my experiences in Egypt soon- let’s hope I can do them justice!

      Delete
  10. Wow....That was superb Netra!! Well done. I loved the format of direct speech here..

    ReplyDelete

The New Struggle Against Slavery

Image source In 1981, Mauritania became the last country in the world to abolish slavery. The decree signified a global end to slavery —...